In case of fire where to contact ?
Dial toll free number 101 & Call your local Fire Station. Note the location and telephone numbers of different Fire Stations.
What are the directives for common citizen during call for fire?
- Always mention actual address, name of road/ village etc. Land marks, if any.
- Mention the nature of the building/ complex involved in fire.
- Immediately leave from the place of fire to a place of safety as life is more precious than property.
- Call Fire Brigade at the earliest.
- Shut down the electric main switch, if possible.
- Use first aid fire fighting equipments like Extinguishers, Fire Buckets etc.
- Don’t use water during any kind of electrical fire.
- Wait for Fire Brigade.
- Help Fire Brigade during fire fighting.
- Do not destroy any Fire Fighting vehicle and equipments.
Is there any Mobile Number to Contact Fire Brigade in Emergency?
Yes, There is mobile number for every Fire Stations of West Bengal. Please search for district wise Fire Stations in Search Fire Station or go to your nearest Fire Stations and put the number in your Diary.
Is there any charge for calling Fire Brigade?
Yes, after fire fighting, if the said establishment attract Sec. 11C or 12 or both the owner/occupier shall pay charges for Fire Fleet a per Sec. 4A of W.B.F.S. Act. 1950. Detail fees referred as hereunder
Rs. 2500/- for first eight hours and Rs. 200/- per hour or part thereof, for additional service over eight hours.
Rs. 20/- per 15 Metres Length of delivery hose.
Rs.5000/- for first eight hours and Rs. 1000/- per hour or part thereof, for additional service over eight hours.
|2.||Depreciation||10% over the charges mentioned under items (a), (b) and (c) in column (2) against sl. No. 1.|
|3.||Petroleum, oil and lubricant charges||Actual cost of Petroleum, oil and lubricant|
|4.||Charges for staff deployment-
Is there any punishment for false fire call?
Yes, he can be punished on conviction with fine not exceeding Rs. 50,000/- or imprisonment up to 6 months or both.
Is there any punishment for not taking Fire Safety Certificate?
Yes, owner/occupiers are liable. Violation of rule is an offence which is cognizable and non-bailable offence.
Whether Fire Safety Certificate is necessary for any high risk building ?
Yes it is mandatory, Fire Safety Certificate is necessary for any high risk building.
Definition of high risk building?
Notification No. 279/DS/FS/O/C-1/FIA-3/96- 8th July, 2003- in exercise of the power conferred by clause (hb) of Section 2 of the West Bengal Fire Service Act 1950 (West Bengal Act XVIII of 1950), the Governor is pleased hereby to specify the following building or part of a building as high risk buildings:-
- Building or part of a building used for storage, handling, manufacturing or processing of highly combustible or explosive materials or product which are likely to burn or be inflame easily.
- Building or part of a building used for storage, handling manufacturing or processing materials or product which may produce poisonous fumes or may resulting explosion.
- Building or part of a building used for storage, handling manufacturing or processing materials or product by using highly corrosive or noxious alkalis, acid or other liquids or chemicals which may cause explosion or produce poisonous irritant or corrosive fume or gases.
- Building or part of a building used for storage, handling manufacturing or processing of any materials producing explosive mixture or dust which may result in division of such materials into fine particles subject to spontaneous ignition.
- Building or part of a building used for storage under pressure of more than 0.1 N/mm2 and exceeding 70 M3 of ammonia, carbon dioxide, acetylene, chlorine, hydrogen, methyl oxide, sulphur dioxide, illuminating and natural gases and all other gases likely to explode, or any toxic or cryogenic fumes or gases.
- Building or part of a building used for storage and handling of hazardous and highly flammable liquids, liquefiable gases like liquefied petroleum gas, rocket propellant etc.
- Building or part of a building used for storage and handling of hazardous substances other than liquids, including wood and cotton.
- Building or part of a building used for manufacture of ammunition and fire works.
- Building or part of a building used for manufacture of artificial flowers and synthetic leathers.
- Building or part of a building used for a housing complex having more than 8 dwelling units.
- Building or part of a building of an underground structure including underground transit system.
- Building or part of a building used for power generation and distribution centre, transformer house, industrial switch gear room, major electrical installation or a telephone exchange.
- Building or part of a building used for airport hanger and airport terminal, railway station, crashed and yard.
- Building or part of a building used for hotel, restaurant, club with bar facilities, par lour with sauna bath facilities, guest house and dharmasalas.
- Building with multi-purpose occupancy.
- Building or part of a building used for public entertainment and public assembly.
- Building or part of a building used for hospital, nursing home, sanatorium or laboratory.
- Building or part of a building used for library, museum, archaeological centre or research centre.
- Building or part of a building used for shopping complex, market, katra or a shop for selling fire works.
Is there any permission required for construction of temporary structure?
Yes, permission shall be obtained under Sec. 23A and temporary structure shall be constructed as per Temporary Structure’s Rules – 2003.
Is there any charges for permission of temporary structures?
Yes, prescribed charges referred under Notification No. 245/DS/FS/O/C-1/FIA-3/96 (Pt.-II)-12.06.2003
|Structure or pandal covering an area not exceeding 250 sq. ft||Rs. 250/-|
|Structure or pandal covering an area exceeding 250 sq. ft||Rs. 500/-|
|Structure or pandal covering an area exceeding 500 sq. ft||Rs. 1000/-|
|Commercial structure or pandal like jatra, circus, fair or the like forming a cluster covering an area exceeding 100 sq. ft. and upto 2500 sq. ft.
Note-1- Area above 2500 sq. ft. of plot or part thereof shall be treated as separate cluster except in case of jatra and circus.
Note-2- In case of jatra or circus, fees for jatra and circus are applicable only in Municipal area.
Is there any difference between high rise and high risk building?
Yes, the definition of high risk building laid down vide Notification No. 279/DS/ FS/O/C-1/FIA-3/96 -08.07.2003. High Rise building means all building above 14.5 Mtrs. in height. All high rise buildings are high risk building apart from other categories.
Whether each residential building requires Fire Safety Certificate?
Residential buildings having height more than 14.5 Meters, are required to obtain fire safety certificate. Where ever there are more than eight dwelling units fire safety guidelines are to be followed. Similarly building with multipurpose occupancy requires fire safety certificate irrespective of height.
What are the Fire Safety measures required for high rise building, hospital & school etc.?
Fire Safety measures depends upon height of the building, types of occupancies, types of hazard. However, please see sample recommendation for different occupancies.
Whether there is any fees for taking Fire Safety Recommendation?
Yes, as per Notification No. 467/DS/FES/N/C-1/IA-1/2005 dated- 14.01.2005. The amount of special fee to be paid by the person or association of persons intending to construct a high risk building as classified in column (1) and column (2) of the Table below, shall be calculated at the rate as mentioned in column (3) of the said table against the total floor area of such high risk building
|Group||Buildings||Rate of special fee||Remarks|
|"A"||Residential building over 14.5 M height, educational institution, dharmasala, library, museum, art gallery;||Rs. 3/- per sq. M of the floor area of the building or Rs. 10000/- which ever id higher.||Special fee shall be levied subject to restriction as provided in proviso to sub-section (I) of section 11E.|
|"B"||Hospital, nursing home, research centre, telephone exchange, guest house, hotel upto 3 star category, restaurant without bar facilities, laboratories, ceremonial house.||Rs. 4.50/- per sq. M of the floor area of the building or Rs. 15000/- which ever is higher.||-do-|
|"C"||Port, airport hangers, airport terminal building, places of public entertainment, restaurant having bar facilities, shopping complex, office, markets, automobile workshops, power generating and distribution centre, underground structures, major electrical installations, hotel above three star categories, covered car parking area||Rs. 6/- per sq. M of the floor area of the building or Rs. 20000/- which ever is higher.||-do-|
|"D"||Outlets of hazardous substances, fire works manufacturing units, storage and manufacturing area of explosive, premises for storing hazardous substances, underground transit system, oil installation, petro-chemicals and oil refineries;||Rs. 9/- per sq. M of the floor area of the building or Rs. 30000/- which ever is higher.||-do-|
Explanation II- For mixed occupancy building, the building shall be treated as such category of building which covers more than 50% of the entire occupied area and fees shall be calculated on that basis.
What are the documents required for taking Fire Safety Recommendation?
The owner/occupier shall apply to the Director General, W.B.F&E.S. or Divisional Officer of Divisions along with details architectural plan drawing as following manner-
- Site/ Location plan (Ammonia Print).
- Floor-wise plan (Ammonia Print).
- Roof plan (Ammonia Print).
- Ground floor plan showing side open space, abutting or approach road with width, main exit/entrance. (Ammonia Print).
- Area statement in meters.
- Section and elevation plan
Whether offence for not taking Fire Safety Certificate/ Fire License can be compounded?
Yes, if applicant pleads guilty with prayer for compounding the offences before the Director General Fire and Emergency Services West Bengal then the D.G. can compound of offence under Sec. 38B of WBFS Act. by a special or general order.
What are the Govt. fees for compound?
It depends upon the vulnerability of fire hazards and the area of the involvement starting from Rs. 20000/- to Rs. 500000/-.
Whether Fire Safety Certificate and Fire License both are required for any establishment?
FSC (Fire Safety Certificate) is required for all high rise and high risk building which is a condition of granting FSL (Fire Safety License) and FSL are required for storing, keeping processing inflammable articles beyond the limit as prescribes in the Fire service Act.
What is the Procedure for taking FSL?
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING FIRE LICENSE
|1.||Act & Rules||:||Provisions of Section 15 of the West Bengal Fire Services Act, 1950, as subsequently amended.|
|2.||Application Form||:||West Bengal Form No. 393 Z (14)|
|3.||Fire license Application
|:||The Collector, Fire License|
|4.||Address (at present)||:||Fire License Section, Writers' Buildings, Main Block, Top Floor, Western Side, Kolkata -700 001.|
|5.||Fire License Issuing Authority||:||Same as at (3) & (4)|
|6.||Fire license recommending
|:||Director General, West Bengal Fire & Emergency Services Or his authorized/delegated Officer.|
|7.||Procedure||:||The application Form duly filled in and signed by the applicant/or his authorized representative to be submitted to the Office of the Collector, Fire License.|
|8.||Documents to be submitted||:||
|9.||Procedure of issuance of
|:||The application along with requisite documents submitted at the Office of the Collector Fire License is sent to the Office of the Director General, West Bengal Fire & Emergency Services by the Collector for inspection of the|
|10.||Inspection||:||There are number of Inspecting Officers (Fire Protection Officer) under the disposal of D.G., WBF & ES. The Inspecting Officers on receipt of the File inspect the premises and submit the inspection report - (suitability/non-suitability) to the License recommending authority.
After proper evaluation the fire license file is returned to the Collector Fire License.
|11.||Renewal Of fire license||:||Fire license is issued for a period of one year only. Fire license is to be renewed every year after paying the fire license fee.|
Is there any training programme for First Aid & Fire Fighting?
Yes, for short duration for one to two days station officers of each Fire Station can do it and for long duration please contact C.I.(I.F.S.), Silpara, Behala.
Whether any awareness programme is organized?
Yes, this department organizes different awareness programme through out the year.
What are the recruitment procedures for different rank?
There are six level of direct recruitments procedure i.e. F.O., S.C.D., F.E.O.D., A.M.O., Sub Officer and Divisional Officers. Please see the recruitment rules.
Whom to complain if people are harassed by Fire Service Employee?
1) D.G., WBFES, 13D, Mirza Galib Street, Kolkata – 16.
2) Director Fire Service.
3) D.O., of concerned Divisions.